Site_Navigation

Wednesday 29 August 2012

INTROducing.....Katie Greengrass: Costume Designer & Fashion Stylist



Give us 3 words that describe you best:
Hardworking, creative, intense!


So, can you tell us what it is you actually do?
I am a Costum Designer and Stylist working in music, editorial and film. My main clients are the director, songwriter and musician Plan B and singer, model and Britain’s Got Talent judge Alesha Dixon


...and you're how old?!?!
31


Nice! How did you get into this?
I started out doing unpaid work experience as a fashion assistant in magazines and newspapers and as a tv runner, I built up my contacts and experience doing that and then worked my way up.

What’s the most exciting thing you've done in your career so far?

Working as Costume Designer on Plan B’s first feature film “Ill Manors” was a personal highlight, the cast and crew were all relatively unknown but we all worked really hard and felt very passionate about the film and I am really proud to have worked on it. Ben Drew (Plan B) is an amazing talent and I am very lucky to have had the opportunity to have worked with him on so many inspiring projects.


What’s been your dullest job?
Working in a gift shop to pay my rent whilst I was doing work ex wasn’t the most exciting. It was crosswords, gift wrapping and listening to XFm 8 hours a day!


Where do you look/go for inspiration?
Anywhere really, paintings, history, iconic images, people I admire, sometimes music, packaging or billboards or pages from magazines I tear out. I do a lot of online picture research too.

What took the most balls?
Dressing 70 odd musicians/actors/dancers for the Plan B on stage riots at the Brits was an amazing but hair-raising experience. I had two cracked ribs and thirty riot police to contend with and had to live quick change Ben Drew in 22 seconds on national television!

The best advice you have for new graduates about to go into the 'real world’ is....
Work hard and always be nice to everyone, you never know who you might meet again on your way up or down as the case may be…