Site_Navigation

Friday 29 June 2012

INTROducing.... Rachel Obrart: TV production


Give us 3 words that describe you best: 

Loud, loyal & fun

So, can you tell us what it is you actually do?

I work at a television production company called RDF Television. My role is quite unique as I do lots of different things day to day. 

My responsibilities include:
Diary management for company execs – Head of Production/ Head of Factual Entertainment and Head of Entertainment
Assisting the Production Executives
Coordinating development projects (projects that haven’t been commissioned yet). This involves travel and hotel bookings, writing call sheets and arranging money. 
Answering queries from the public
General point of contact for the company

...and you're how old?!?! 

27

Nice! How did you get into this? 

Graduated from Brighton University with a Business and Marketing degree
Worked for an Events Agency as a Project Coordinator for 3 years (I worked at the agency’s sister company in my placement year at uni and got the job through the contacts I made) 
Then freelanced for 1 year
Then it became increasingly apparent that there was no career development in Events so I decided to focus on TV as there is a clear structure
Wrote to different companies and was success! 

What’s the most exciting thing you've done in your career so far?

Working on The Night of Hero Military Awards 2011 – I saw David Beckham in the flesh! 

What’s been your dullest job?

I’ve been lucky and haven’t had a dull job! 

What took the most balls?

Deciding to change career at 26! 

The best advice you have for new graduates about to go into the 'real world’ is....

Try and get as much work experience as possible, research names and get in touch with people directly. Don't rely on Recruitment agencies!